1. I'm loving sitting in our formal living room (one of the only rooms in our house without a TV) with a good book, tea, and a candle burning. Relaxation at its best. With two dogs and a toddler, things can get smelly 'round here so a good candle is a must. The candle above is gorgeous, but it will set you back quite a bit and I would probably only go there for a gift. I typically shop Target, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's for candles. This weekend I found some great candles by DW Home at Marshall's for only $5.99 each and I stocked up.
2. This article is so true! Time to start planning my next trip!
3. There are tons of things around our house that don't work and it drives me crazy. I swear we are calling some sort of fix-it man once a month when something goes wrong. This month it was the perpetually-flushing, broken-handled toilet and the kitchen faucet that decided it preferred to drip very slowly--it was so slow that I had time to vacuum the whole downstairs while it filled up the dogs' water bowl. We lived with the sink problem for months because I was convinced it was going to cost a fortune to fix. Thank goodness a friend's boyfriend is a plumber and came over to figure out what the problem was. He found the problem immediately: We simply needed to unscrew the very tip of the faucet and clean out the aerator screen. I knew what was wrong with the toilet and he confirmed--we just needed to replace the handle and flapper. I did both by myself in under 15 minutes. Make sure you check these quick fixes before you call a plumber! You can buy a fancy candle or two with the money you save!
4. If you have kids and they have tangles, you need this brush. You should order a back-up or two because they are that amazing.
5. I always stress about having people over for dinner, but last Friday night we entertained and I loved what I decided to make as everything was easy to prep ahead so that I could actually enjoy everyone's company. We had chips and Pioneer Woman salsa (the best in the world!); carnitas with corn tortillas, avocado, and cilantro; and fiesta lime rice (I always mix the lime juice with a little olive oil and rice wine vinegar before pouring on the rice). Super simple and appetizing.
5. I never used to make my bed, but now I have to everyday or I can't seem to function properly. (My parents and college roommates will probably not be able to believe this). I loved this video about the importance of making your bed every morning.
6. Rereading Bringing Up Bebe and I'm determined baby number two will be "doing her nights" by 12 weeks old. (And 12 weeks is on the later end of the spectrum in France, but I'll take it!) It's all about "la pause" evidently.